Monday, April 25, 2011

Omurice (Ketchup Rice)

At the high school I went to in Hawaii, most people brought home lunch.  I'm not really sure why, in fact I don't think I ever ate a hot lunch from the Cafeteria during my entire stay there.  (Though I did eat a lot of pizza and chicken fingers from the Snack Bar...)  My best friend always had the best lunches.  Her mom had moved to Hawaii from Japan and so every day my best friend and her brother had the best bento lunches!  I always looked over in envy and wanted to switch my turkey sandwich and chips for her lunch.  My best friend must have told her mom, since every once in a while she would pack a bento for me too! 

omurice13
One of my best friends favorites, that I often stole a bite of, was Ketchup rice, or Omurice.  This dish is basically a spin on fried rice and combines it in an omelet.  According to Wikipedia, the traditional Omurice is made with a chicken ketchup rice, but this recipe is the way I remember my best friends mom making it. 
Ketchup Rice
from my best friends mom

2 cups day old rice
1/2 onion, diced
1/2 green bell pepper, diced
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 Tbsp. ketchup
6 slices Canadian bacon/bacon/ham (approximately 100g)
salt
pepper
Tabasco (optional)
4 eggs
1 tbsp. milk

1.  Dice the onion, green bell pepper and Canadian bacon into even sized pieces. 
Omurice

2.  Heat skillet and pour 1 Tbsp. olive oil into pan.  Cook the Canadian bacon, onion and green bell pepper until onion and bell pepper soften.  Season with salt and pepper. 
Omurice3Omurice4
3.  Add in the 2 Tbsp. of ketchup and mix well.  Pour rice into the skillet and mix well until rice is evenly coated with the ketchup mixture.  *If you like it spicy add in a couple dashes of Tabasco*  

4.  Cook until mixture is evenly heated and remove from heat.  *You can eat the ketchup rice just like this or you can wrap it in an omelet*

Omurice5
Omelet
1.  Crack eggs into a bowl and add in milk.  Quickly beat the eggs with a fork.  *I typically use 1.5 -2 eggs per omelet*

2.  Preheat a small skillet and spray with cooking spray.  Pour egg mixture into hot pan and quickly push eggs around in the pan for 30 seconds.

Omurice6
3.  Run chopsticks around the perimeter of the pan and swirl egg mixture to spread evenly throughout the pan.  Repeat as many times as necessary.  Once egg is 90% set, spoon the ketchup rice down the middle of the omelet. 
Omurice7
4.  Flip one side of the omelet over the ketchup rice and roll the omelet onto the plate.  With a paper towel quickly shape the omelet (tuck edges under so it is nicely rolled around the ketchup rice). 

5.  Drizzle with ketchup or Siracha!
omurice10

Technorati Tags: ,,

13 comments:

Nami @ Just One Cookbook said...

Lindsey! Your Omurice looks really delicious! I was just thinking that I haven't cooked this for kids for a while. I don't know why but kids love Omurice and I liked it when I was young too (I still like it). Maybe I'll cook one of these days.

Cooking Gallery said...

I love Omurice! I always wondered how they made omurice when I was just a little girl, fortunately I am not a little girl anymore and can now do some googling to find delicious recipes online ;).

Diethood.com said...

Oh that must be the best looking/sounding rice dish I have ever seen! I love omurice!!

Tiffany said...

I LOVE that the rice is wrapped in an omelette! It looks delish ... AND you could eat it for breakfast, lunch, OR dinner!

Unknown said...

Oh that is just yummy! I love any kind of rice that is dished up! Mmm

Franklin from Dinedelish said...

Omurice is my favorite. I ate it a lot growing up. Thanks for a great flashback of my childhood!

Our Eyes Eat First said...

yummm.. ketchup rice - that is a first but looks so good!

Anonymous said...

It looks delicious :) I'll have to try this!

Unknown said...

i loved when my mom would make this growing up... sometimes it was simple just plain rice in egg w/ swirls of ketchup on top, but there were times she dressed it up with some shrimp or other protein. yum... i think i'm gonna make this for dinner tomorrow! =)

Mary @Delightful Bitefuls said...

This sounds (and looks!) delicious!!

Great blog; happy I found you!

Mary xo
Delightful Bitefuls

Nancy said...

I've never hear of this, thanks for educating me. It looks really good and I would prefer that to a sandwich and chips too:)

Biren @ Roti n Rice said...

What a great idea to wrap the rice in an omelet! I can see why this would fit nicely in a bento. I will have to make it for my boys' bentos.

Chris said...

Looks sooo yummy!!! Thanks for the recipe!! :D

Post a Comment